Wondering How to Bill Your Extended Health benefits for CPAP Expenses?

CPAP, APAP and BiPAP are medical devices and the supplies such as Mask, Hose, Water Chamber, Filters, Seal and Headgear are essential to therapy. We can show you how to bill your extended health benefits for CPAP. Most extended health benefits allow coverage for replacement of CPAP supplies on an as needed basis. If you are unsure of your coverage, contact your extended health benefits provider and ask what the coverage is for CPAP and CPAP supplies. They should be able to let you know what items you are covered for and the frequency of replacing CPAP supplies, and the max coverage be calendar year. If you have any issues, you can contact our office today for assistance. We are more that happy to help you understand your coverage and how to get reimbursement for your CPAP supplies.

Please see information below on how to submit a health benefit claim for CPAP supplies bought through CPAPCARE.ca

General Instructions

  • Contact the members services department of your extended health benefits company directly to ensure that they allow subscribers to submit claims for medical expenses purchased out-of-pocket (such as the CPAP supplies you purchased through CPAPCARE.ca.
  • When speaking with the representative from your extended health benefits company, ask them on what type of form they require you to submit your claim information. Also ask them what information they require for your file, such as PAP prescription, Sleep Study, Diagnosis and duration letter? If they require this information, you can ask your Sleep Physicians office for copies of this information.
  • Complete the form required, most often this is a health benefits claim form which you can find on health benefits website or as your companies benefit administrator for this claim form.
  • Attach a copy of your invoice from CPAPCARE.ca
  • Submit the claim form and paid in full invoice to your extended health benefits company using the method they described (most require mailed claim submission, some will allow you to fax, or email or user portal submission).
  • Wait for reimbursement. Generally, extended health benefits companies say they can complete claims within 30 business days. Check with your company for their specific turnaround time

Usually if you purchase your PAP supplies and submit a paid in full invoice along with a claim form to your extended health benefits, they should reimburse you based on your supply replacement frequency. Some benefits allow supplies as needed, while others may limit supply replacement every 6 months. If you are unsure what your benefits allow you can call them and they will update you with your supply frequency and limitations.

To request a quote please email customerservice@cpapcare.ca